Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Litte Boy Walks a Big Dog

Here's Louie, checking on me.
Louie and I walk together on the leash. This is something we have done since he was eight weeks old. I've always worked on keeping him relaxed and comfortable on a leash. However, I've almost exclusively been the one on the other end of that leash. Louie walks by my side and follows me. I know ways to hold the leash and make subtle sounds to cue him in on where we are and where we're going.

So switch that person on the other end of the leash to a just-turned seven year old boy. That's a big difference for Louie.

My cousin's son, Ethan stayed the weekend with us.
On Sunday, the sun came out and we took a walk about a mile down the road to an elementary school where Ethan could play on the toys. Louie loves to get his harness on, he always sits when he hears the sound of the harness and leash being picked up.

At first I held the leash and Ethan walked on the other side of me. Louie is always happy to be out and about. He blindly follows where ever I go, very literally. When I handed that leash over to Ethan, not too much changed. I had to show and explain to Ethan why we hold the leash in close to us and don't let it slack. Then why is the leash so long? Great question kid, really. I should have a shorter leash because Blind Louie never gets 6 feet away from me when he's hooked up to it. Sometimes I wish he would. I've almost been peed on before. Being the owner of a blind dog means knowing how to dodge a stream of urine and knowing how to laugh about it too.

Louie was walking just fine by Ethan's side.
So well that I decided to take out my camera and snap a picture. I was walking behind Ethan and Louie just observing. I stopped to steady myself and take the picture when just then, Louie turn right around and look at me. I realized then that it wasn't him disobeying Ethan as much as it was him checking on me. He heard my food steps stop! He can't see, and I still can't sneak up on him! Once I started walking again Louie turned around and followed his new leader, but he always kept and ear on me too.

When we got to the school I had Ethan and Louie stop and showed Ethan how to ask Louie to wait and I took a photo. We walked to the playground. This place still has a BigToy! Remember the wooden jungle gym that's made of logs and old tires? Best. Thing. Ever. So naturally I wanted to climb up to the highest point, and naturally Ethan did too. So there goes Louie, very carefully, following us all the way to the top. The logs are spaced about an inch or so apart and they are kind of round. Louie would inch forward carefully when walking with the logs horizontal to him. I was like he wasn't sure where the 'last step' was or something. He thought each log could be the ledge. When walking on the logs vertically, he put his left paws on one log and his right on the next one over and walked straight down them. He should have been a doggy tightrope walker. Blind. And with the rope on fire. I am amazed by him!

Louie isn't just talented, he's trusting.
He knows that I won't let him fall off the BigToy. He also must trust himself, his ability's and his instincts. This is something big I admire about Louie, his blind faith. Allowing himself to be in the moment, just enjoy himself and let fear and hesitation go. This will be okay, and if not, he'll deal with it when it comes up and he'll get over it quickly.

So there is Louie on the third level of the BigToy. Someplace many people would think he could not go. Lot's of people don't know Louie can even use the stairs. He just goes, and goes and goes. Louie just keeps trying and trusting and loving. Louie is a good guy, through and through. Even in this picture, up high, he 'watches' over Ethan and makes sure he's safe. He sits facing him with only about an inch between them.What a good boy.

1 comment:

  1. Lanni Ethan and My Favourite Louie :)
    Those pictures tell their own story and speak louder than any words <3

    Your Lil Boy showed great courage and trust in both you and Ethan, Firstly he's checking to see where you are and are you still there with him ?

    Then he's actually bonded and his trust in his new Handler changes into almost protection of his young charge :)

    The ending is the most beautiful and speaks volumes and that is that he's awfully proud and I'd say that's BOTH !!

    It's the spark of Magic that come's from a the beautiful friendship of a boy and his Dog <3

    Lanni this is a beautiful piece and you should all be very proud and it's a true showing of the magnificent and child adoring Rottweiler :)

    Take care and love to you all
    zena and Fizzly in Spirit xoxox

    ReplyDelete