Sunday, August 4, 2013

Moving to a New House!

Louie enjoying his sunny new porch in the morning.


So, we're moving. Not far away by any means. We're moving right next door actually. We'll still be next door to my parents and Budde the Puppy, who's not such a little puppy anymore. We're moving to a house with two bedrooms, instead of the one bedroom we've been in. We are making room for the baby that should be arriving sometime in October.

The Dogs love the new yard and huge back porch. We let Louie come over and check the place out before any furniture was there. That is something I haven't really done before. Usually, I prefer it if he stays away until we have furniture arranged where it will be staying so he can really map out his new surroundings. This time it was a little harder to keep him away since we were walking back and forth between the new house and our old house and he was following right along of course.

Louie trying out the new couch as a possible sleeping home base.
Louie seemed to really enjoy checking out the empty house. He softly bumped into some walls and followed right along with me while I showed him around. Then it was time to start moving boxes. I was going to put him inside at my dads house so he would be out of the way, but Louie decided that he'd put himself on time out. We had moved the dog bed's first and we set them, temporarily, on the back porch. Louie found his dog bed and made that his home base. As we moved things he enjoyed his dog bed in a new location.

Louie is slow moving in the new house when he first wakes up. This is a good thing. Sleep for him hits some kind of reset button. In the old house he had only 3 places where he would sleep: on our bed with us, on the living room dog bed or on a chair in the living room. The house was very small. Now there is much more room to fall asleep, and much more space to get lost in (but there is still not enough room on our bed Louie, scoot over!) The fist night in the new house, Louie fell asleep with me on my bed. When Paul came to bed and had Louie move from his spot, we took the time to show Louie we weren't in the old house anymore. We helped him jump down and get his bearings. When he was finally settled he chose a spot on the carpeted floor at the foot of the bed. Our dog Snorp was sleeping just a few feet away. That was perfect.

All three dogs, fast asleep in the new backyard.
When I woke up the next morning, Louie was no longer at the foot of the bed. Where did he go? I checked the living room, the kitchen, the hallway and the still empty baby-to-be's room. Nothing. Finally, I went to use the bathroom and there he was. We have two bathrooms in this new house and one is in the master bedroom. Louie and I have never experienced such luxury. The strange thing is, this bathroom is carpeted. Weird, I think. I have never lived anywhere with a carpeted bathroom. I think this dates the house and shows it has not been remodeled in about forty years. It is pretty awesome looking overall, but the bathroom carpet seems wrong. I guess Louie thought so too. I don't think he realized he was sleeping in the bathroom because he was still in the room with us and there was still the same carpet. Louie was fast asleep on the bathmat.

Louie likes throw rugs and dog beds because it's an easy marker to where he is in the room. I'm sure he thought of the bathmat as his new dog bed in our room. I think it really confused him when I started to brush my teeth right near where he was laying! What!

All in all, this has been fun. It has been tough for me in that I can't move things like I usually would due to my 'condition'. I'm 7 months pregnant already! But this has made me realize and appreciate that my husband is such a good guy and a hard worker. I packed some, and unpacked, but he moved just about everything. Louie, not so much. He just 'watched'.

No comments:

Post a Comment