Friday, September 7, 2012

Getting to Know You

Louie August 2006

A big ol' yawn from my new little pup pup. Showing off his lack of molars. Seven weeks old, Louie seems like a normal puppy. Tons of energy followed by unplanned bouts of heavy sleep. Clumsy as all get out! I've never seen a dog run into so many things and not even care, he just keeps going.

I let him go outside to tinkle. I peer of my porch, watching him find a spot. He squats to poo. The weight of his heavy head too big to hold, he slowly starts to tilt forward as the crap falls out the back end. He does a face plant mid-shit. Cutest damn thing I've ever seen. Always so overly careful not to step in his freshly laid turd.

Everyday we have play time in our tiny front lawn. First just getting him to follow me as I run back and forth. Then with a leash attached and, when that seemed to go unnoticed, the leash in hand. Stop together, start together, repeat. He likes follow the leader and it's easy for me to lead. One of my strides is a long way to go for Louie, bounding along all goofy.

His carefree and positive attitude is contagious. When I'm playing with him, we are learning together without ever being aware. We are learning each others language, we are figuring out how to communicate. Where do we stand and how do we get along with one another? Where are the rules and boundary's? They are there but they come about organically and without force. Learning the meaning of 'sit' is as simple as me holding my hand above the top of his head and moving it toward his back end until his back legs fall out from under him. "Sit." I say softly and then we wrestle and frolic. Yes, I said frolic. There was no one else around okay. Louie was not concerned with my coolness or reputation as a tough guy. Soon enough all I had to say was "Sit" and his butt hit the ground, tail wagging.

No comments:

Post a Comment