Sunday, September 30, 2012

It's Not All Puppies and Rainbows Part I

Super close up, Louie's eyes after beginning medication, swelling way down. 2008

So far, what I've written about life with Louie has been really positive. It really has been a wonderful experience overall. The way we are now makes all the struggle seem so small but at times we were dealing with some really difficult stuff.

 Louie has had chronic pain since he was so young he didn't know anything else. He just learned to deal with it, to maintain. Louie was always okay, and sometimes he was even great or wonderful! The lessons I've learned and taken away from Louie far surpasses what I feel I've given him.

When Louie was very young, I thought he had the smallest bladder in canine history. Louie learned quickly to go to the bathroom outside and how to tell me he needed to go out. He would sit by the front door and whimper or yawn, maybe he'd do a little tap dance on the wood floor. I would get up and let him out and sit on the porch steps and wait for him. Something changed when he was about 10-12 weeks old.

Louie would sit at my feet looking up at me and whine. Whimper, cry almost. He would let out a whine and his little chin would quiver making his cry sound so pathetic. I would stop what I was doing and take Louie outside. He would just stand on the porch and look at me or sometimes he'd walk down and smell around in the grass a little bit before going back inside. "What's going on, quit screwin' around Louie." and we'd go back inside. A few minutes after he's start the same crying and staring and me blinking, squinting, blinking.

Louie playing in the sunshine with our new kitten, Meatloaf. Aug. 2012
I began thinking about his eyes again. Leading me to do more research, get a second opinion and ask more questions. When I found out it was glaucoma, and understood what glaucoma was, it all made sense. I had no idea he was in so much pain so often! It was like little Louie had constant migraines. His eyes were literally filling like tiny balloons until they would rupture, causing irreversible damage. AH! It made my skin crawl! I wanted to scream but I couldn't because all we can do is move forward, if he was already this great, imagine what it will be like when we figure out how to get him pain-free.

What a good sport! He was sure a jolly guy, he loved to play and meet people. Louie was always up for a walk, a game of fetch or a ride in the car. For Louie, standing still meant dealing with pain, instead he'd drown that out with enjoyment. I feel like if I didn't help show him what should be an enjoyable outlet, then he would get his jollies by getting into the garbage, digging holes and fighting. He showed me that would be the case, because these were his tendencies. He is a dog, an animal. While I know Louie is just a super cool guy, I should also give myself some credit for steering him in the right direction. Pat myself on the back here, one more time... okay. Nice. This feels good. It's rewarding and fun! I know that all that is just a lesson I needed to learn. I need to move forward and tried to keep myself happy in a healthy and productive way.

I think everyone should blindfold their dogs from now on! Kidding? It's not the same. Louie is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment