Sunday, February 24, 2013

Writer's Block?

Louie's favorite sleeping chair.
Writer's Block.
I thought writer's block would be a small, cube shaped desk ornament that held your pens and pencils or something. I didn't understand how someone could not write. You just put your hands on the keyboard, thoughts pop into your head and you move your fingers accordingly. Then it happened to me.

I've been writing the Life with Blind Louie blog for about six months now. When I first started, I thought I would never, could never, run out of stories to tell. Louie and I have been together for six and a half years and counting. I met him for the first time when he was only a few weeks old, He hadn't even opened those eyes that would end up giving him so much trouble in the future. The playing field was still totally level with him and his litter-mates.
Sorry, is my story boring you?


We've been through a lot. I've learned a ton and I have so much to share. I've told a lot of Louie stories a lot of times. To friends, to coworkers, to our vet, to my family and sometimes, I'm guilty, even to strangers. Am I that 'weird dog lady'? Maybe? We no longer have eye problems. I do not think of Louie's blindness as a problem. I think of it the same as: I have two legs, he has four. I can talk, he can only bark and whine, I have thumbs, he has paws, I can see, Louie cannot. So there are no active eye problems currently, after so long. We have no scheduled upcoming surgery, no eye drops and no constant pain or worry of pressure spikes. Louie has gotten so good at navigating his way around without sight that we deal with far fewer accidents and missteps. It's been smooth sailing for a while now.

Extra! Extra!
We took the CGC course and test and passed with flying colors. I started work on the Life with Blind Louie book, spending hours typing away feverishly late into the night after long days of work. I've got a good feeling about this book, even if no one ever sees it but me. The future looks bright for Lanni and Louie and our wonderful family. So why the sudden writers block? No more classes? A new puppy next door? Wintertime blues? Can't get the cat off the laptop? Maybe. Or maybe it's just because there's a bigger story brewing, something off in the horizon. Something that's not quite newsworthy yet. So I'm holding back, sure I could write about everyday Louie but there's something more. Something that involves all of us and I'm just not ready to tell the story yet.

Blind Louie and his best cat friend, Halford
So there will be Budde the Puppy weekly updates, as he is growing and changing faster than ever. There will be adorable pictures of Louie looking sleepy as I forcibly wake him up and make him go potty outside in the rain. There may be some fun springtime pig, cat, dog and chicken interaction coming up soon when the weather takes a turn for the better. I will try to share Louie with cats photos, because those are really some of my favorites. When I wake up in the middle of the night to ask Louie to scoot off my bed as I try to regain the feeling in my legs, it makes it just that much hader to kick him out when I find him spooning with our cat Halford.

Just wait for it, there's more soon to come!
But first! Budde the Puppy is 13 Weeks Old.
Thanks for reading! -Lanni




No comments:

Post a Comment