Saturday, April 6, 2013

Finally the Big News

There has been a void on the Louie blog. Posts have had more time in between. I have been snapping fewer photographs and sleeping a lot more instead. There is some big news in Blind Louie land and our family farm. We will soon be adding to our happy gaggle of animals. This time it won't be another pig, or a chicken or even a puppy. This time we're going to have a baby!

Louie doesn't know yet. I've told him, but he doesn't understand. He just tilts his head from side to side, 'staring' at me. "Louie, are you going to be a big brother? You going to have a new baby in the house?" He eagerly wags his tail. What a good boy. He has no idea that our world and routine is about to be turned upside down.

My husband Paul and I knew we wanted to be parents 'someday'. If you always say someday, then someday may never come. Sometimes you just have to let go and see what happens. Like when I brought Louie home. I knew I wanted to get a puppy someday, but my house wasn't perfect, I worked a lot, I had crappy roommates. But then my friend's wonderful dogs had puppies and I knew they all needed a responsible home. I had love to give, attention and responsibility. I couldn't help them all but I picked one out and took them home. I put a lot of hard work and care into raising Louie and it was worth every second. Even when I'm cleaning dog diarrhea off the carpet, I love him.

I think that is what it will mean to be a mom. I will have love, I am caring and I am
responsible enough to take this on. This time, going into this I also have an amazing partner. I was a single mom for the first three years of Louie's life. I did it, it was hard but I did it. Now I will have a baby, it will be twice as hard and complicated as raising a puppy but now I have someone to share the responsibility with. Someone truly amazing. Paul is much more patient than me, much more gentle. His sense of humor keeps me laughing even through life's difficult moments. This is what we will need to live a happy, healthy life.

So this blog has taken a backseat to my new blog, a humorous pregnancy blog I've created to document this crazy journey (My Uterus is Magic). Now that I've told everyone that we are expecting, it will easier to write for Life with Blind Louie too. A lot of what I'm thinking about is how a blind dog and a baby will learn to live together. Louie is very trainable, a day old baby, not so much. Life with Blind Louie will be a place I can brainstorm training ideas, and then after the baby is here, a place where I can share stories. I know Louie will continue to amaze us with his adaptability and is intelligence, his kindness and his clumsiness. Stick around, things will get interesting.

Check out my new blog at www.myuterusismagic.blogspot.com !!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I don't comment much but I am a follower and a fan of Louie and you! Can't wait to hear about the next chapters in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for you and your family. Louie will be just fine. Make sure that you let him smell the babies things so that he gets used to the smells and he will learn about the baby that way as well. I had my husband bring my son's first outfit home from the hospital before we even got home so our pups could smell it- they adapted pretty quickly. Babies and dogs are an adventure to be sure, but enjoy the ride! My son is 12 and I find myself missing those days alot more now that he is progressing toward being an adult and more independent. You will understand as you go along why people say that you spend so much time teaching them to walk and talk and then just as much asking them to sit down and be quite- but even the most stressful times become amazing memories and fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Louie HAVE been missed! Congratulations to the family! I imagine your parents are over the moon! Having birthed twins who were very premature (and are now wonderfully healthy 23yr olds who have just moved out of home!), parenthood will give your life new meaning! Enjoy the ride and we appreciate you allowing us to travel it with you!

    ReplyDelete