Saturday, September 22, 2012

Destiny: Bringing Home Louie


Here comes baby!

Louie's first time at his new home.
I went back to my friends house to make the final decision: which puppy do I bring home with me? This would be the day I pick the dog that I will spend everyday for the next ten to twelve (hopefully) years with. I didn't think of that at the time. I just remembered the one with the white triangle on his neck that was so nice and relaxed. I couldn't tell apart any of the others from their litter-mates. No one else stood out. Just a pile of puppies.

When I arrived it was a completely different scene from the last time I was there just 2 weeks ago. There were no guinea pigs to be found, instead there were seven live puppies! All playing outside with their mother lying on the grass. Little dogs. Now how was I supposed to pick one?

I thought of the chapter I'd read in the Tao of puppies book. I stopped and took time to watch each puppy for a while and see how they behaved and interacted with me and the other puppies. The one with the white triangle on his neck was paying particular attention to me. He liked to follow me when I walked and called him and he played nice with the other puppies.

In contrast, there was one stupid dog. What? I can't say stupid now either? You already took retarded away. Words, sheesh. Anyway,  I can't describe his color, something like dirty blonde but somehow almost green. He was yucky looking. Fatter and slower moving than the others and cried for everything. All the other puppies tried to jump on or off something, this puppy barely tried sat whimpering. I named this puppy Puke. I almost wanted to take Puke home just because I felt so sorry for him, but I knew I shouldn't. Someone would want to take care of such a pathetic little thing, right?


So, I choose the black and tan puppy with the white chest.

The car ride home was seemingly uneventful. He sat on the lap of my roommate who came along to help me bring the puppy home. I think the pup cried a little. I got all teary-eyed and sad because I was taking him away from his family and he was so small.

We got home and I showed him around. He wasn't too shy, a little unsure about my cat Jack. Jack was such a confident cat that they became friends quickly. Jack was forgiving of Louie but still new how to tell him where his boundary was.

Clumsy little Louie runs into everything. As he's exploring, I'm spouting off names with my roommates. Willie I think, Willie Nelson. No. Okay, Louie? Louie Prima? I look at the puppy and say "Louie" and he tilts his head to one side smiling at me. Louie it is then. Louis.

Getting to know Jack, carefully. Louie showing his trademark triangle on his neck.
Here's Louie

I pick Louie up holding him in close to my chest. Looking closely at his adorable face, I notice he had a tiny white spot on one eye in the pupil. His eyes look like oil spills, gasoline rainbows, swirly blues and greys. I thought there may be something wrong. They didn't look right. Sometimes I would look at him and one pupil would be much larger than the other. They both always seemed larger than what I thought they would be, like he was stoned or there weren't any lights on. I'm a worrier for sure. The puppies only opened their eyes a couple weeks ago and I knew they were still developing. I thought his eyes would be blue. Cool black and tan dog with blue eyes. Pretty neat guy for sure. No big deal. I'll find out soon enough, he has his first vet appointment in just a couple of days. He seems perfectly normal and happy.
Jack lets Louie know his place, no claws necessary.
Night Time

The first night I slept on the floor next to the dog bed I had set up. It was in the bottom of a closet so I lie there in the opening like a gate. Anytime he woke up and moved around, I woke up and took him outside. "Outside." I'd say as we walked out the door and down the front steps. I would set him on the grass, "Go potty outside. Good boy" Yes, I said potty. Want to fight about it?


The second night I started having him follow me instead of being carried. He was fine except for the steps. The front steps on the porch were broken and he would fall through and get stuck under the porch. He couldn't skip a step, he was just too small. I would pick him up from the top step and skip one and let him finish it. He was catching on quickly. Just three nights of that he knew how to ask to go outside. He would always fall through the broken step out front. He just couldn't remember to stop or go around. Silly dog. 

 One on One Time 
Hunter and Louie's sock fight!
I had planned a short vacation around the time I would bring Louie home. I spent the days off playing with him in the yard or on the floor in the living room. I tied knots into an old gym stock, classic first dog toy. My brother, Hunter came over to play with him. Louie was hilarious to watch, so optimistic he just always kept trying. The little engine that could. Everything seems great but I can't help but notice how he bumps into things. I wince every time he cuts a corner too close and smashes into the wall or runs head on into one of the big trees in the hard. I just say "Careful Louie, Slowly." I drag out the word slowly "Sssllowwwlleeeeee." He picks that up right away. Just slowing down the tone which I spoke to him made him slow down physically, makes sense. Louie was very responsive and eager to learn. I thought this was just going to be the easiest puppy ever.

Next Installment: Louie Meets the Family








Louie meets Poncho, our family dog, for the first time while we mend those pesky steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment