Thursday, September 6, 2012

Meeting Louie

Louie 7 weeks old, 2006
Meeting Louie


That is Louie circa 2006. Little seven week old pup, bright tailed and bushy eyed, as they say. I picked him from a litter of mutts. It was an unplanned pregnancy. The mom Rose, black with a white spot, three quarters lab and a quarter pit. The father, Rio, tan and white, one quarter lab and three quarters pit. Rambling Rose and Rio Grande. Named after Greatful Dead songs. Louie's parents were hippies. Sorry, don't mention it around Louie. He's sensitive about the subject. You know, don't bring up global warming, organic farming or micro brews either. Just to be on the safe side.

Louie's parents weren't married. His mother was very young and his father was a bully but a sweetheart. There was, however, a distant relation between the two, causing me concern regarding the health and intelligence of their offspring. Realizing what would be of these pups was kind of sad. They were so precious, but no one really wanted them.


I got into this idea of raising a puppy head first. Once I heard about Rose being pregnant and decided I would give one a home when they were born regardless of the circumstances of their conception. I was set on putting full effort into training an amazing dog.

I pictured days lying in the sun at the park reading my book on Taoism and puppies, with my calm and trusty friend lying off leash on the grass next to me, catching a Frisbee mid-air, running beside my bicycle.

I quickly came to, remembering that I was a homebody with mild to moderate social anxiety. I don't like lying in the sun and I'm not very confident on a bike. Hey, but I do like taking walks and I'm gentle and can sometimes force patients, so what the heck, I'll try my hand at puppy rearing anyway. If I don't allow my pit-mix to attack and kill anything more adorable then him, then I call that a win!


So how do you pick out a puppy from a litter? It's like picking a M&M from a candy dish. They are all delicious and pretty much taste the same, who cares what color it is unless your some kind of obsessive freak. Am I right? Don't answer that.

Picking a Puppy

I read a few chapters on the subject and learned a few tricks. When the litter is at least six weeks old, stop in and observe.

Watch the Puppies Interact

The 'Eastern European Magic Sleeping Puppy' may not be as cool as it sounds
  •  Is there one puppy that is ruthlessly attacking others or foaming at the mouth? This puppy may not be for you, unless you're really into dog fighting, which I don't condone myself.
  • Is there a puppy hiding in the corner unable to figure out how to turn around and get to the other side where the food is? This puppy rides the short bus.
  • Is there another puppy waiting in line, confused, behind the short bus puppy in the corner? This puppy is a follower, not a leader. This puppy may have a lot more going on there than just being a puppy, if you know what I mean.
  • Is there a puppy that is asleep the entire visit? Has this puppy moved at all? Has the owner of the dogs told you, shifty eyed, that "This puppy is known as an Eastern European Magic Sleeping Puppy."? Is there flies starting to accumulate? This puppy may be deceased. Don't buy this puppy, the will be boring and quickly start to stink.
  • Is there a puppy trapped under a heavy object, unable to free himself? You should probably help that puppy. What are you, some kind of sadist?
  • Is there one puppy playing with others and letting others play with them? Enjoying a toy, interacting with the people around, exploring, following when you call them, running when you run? Now this may be the puppy for you!
     
Inspect the Puppies

Check List to Inspect:

  • Teeth, mouth and gums: Make sure your puppy's been brushing and flossing regularly.
  • Ears: Infested with insects and stuffed with goo? Does the puppy bite you when you touch their ears or yelp? That puppy might be a wimp.
  • Eyes: Can you see the pupil. Do they look at you? Are they cloudy? Don't over think it.
  • Paws: How many toes do they have? You don't want some kind of a mutant freak, now do you.
  • No-No special private parts (don't let anyone catch you looking at this one, they may not allow you to adopt that puppy after all.)

 
The Final Decision

After short deliberation I realized the little black, tan and white male was for me. He had a white spot on his neck in the shape of a triangle, that's how I'll remember which one I will take home. He has a pleasant demeanor, plays well with others, seems attentive, normal amount of extremities and not viciously attacking anyone. His eyes seem off, different but cool. Since this young puppy is still developing, the best I can tell is that he will probably have blue eyes.

I think there were about seven or eight puppies, but I took home Louie. After trying to call him Turbo, Willie Nelson and politely declined the suggestions of Shark Tooth and Killer, I thought Louie would be nice. Louie Prima. Louie Anderson. My Louis Bernard.

Fast forward one more week:

Now I'm ready to take home my perfectly normal 7 week old puppy. 





1 comment:

  1. I think Louie chose you. And as the former parent of his parents, I am SO glad that he took you home! Most people would have tossed him years ago, and you have been the best mother a dog could ever ask for. Attentive, compassionate, loving, supportive, and awesome are just a few of the amazing qualities you share with him every day. I am so glad to see you have decided to share your amazing story. I still share stories of his amazing life. I miss that big guy! Way to go Lanni, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete