Friday, September 21, 2012

The Litter

Mommy Rose with her litter (Louie top left)

Introducing, the Litter!

Now that we've learned more about Louie's parents and how I came to know them, we can move forward to the exciting part.
Rose had puppies! Seven puppies, poor girl. She was so young and had seven pups to care for.There could have been more, I know she lost a least one, maybe two, at birth.

Dog Pile: The whole bunch. About 4 or 5 weeks old. (Louie top left)
 
What is a Litter?

Merriam Webster Dictionary says: "material used to absorb the urine and feces of an animal". That's gross. I don't think we should be sopping up other animal's sick-mess with tiny, younger animals. Is this some kind of canine hazing ritual? 

Wait a second...

That seems wrong. It's always a good idea to read the whole definition before getting confused.

Here's one that seems a better fit: "the offspring at one birth of a multiparous animal".

Well then what is maltiparous? I also have no idea. I think it means 'a bunch of something'.

Like puppies? Yay! I love puppies! Good thing dogs have bunches at a time because they sure do love to snuggle! Look at this dog pile. I suppose this is where that term originated. Dog pile. Who would have thought. The more you know.


Meeting the Litter

It was summertime when the puppies were born. They lived in an apartment that had a nice backyard. My friends cleared out a closet and laid down towels and blankets for an impromptu nursery. It was hot and stuffy and Rose seemed tired with all those pups constantly suckling the sweet life nectar from her many teats.

The first time I went over to see the new litter, the puppies were only four or five weeks old. Their eyes had just opened a few days before and they were still getting their sea legs. I was not sure at the time that these were actually dogs. I was pretty confident Rose had just brought home some guinea pigs and fooled everybody. I was sure she and Rio were just planning to eat those piggies when everyone fell asleep.

Three litter-mates (Guinea Pigs?)
Honestly, these pups were pretty boring. Sure they were cute, but they didn't do much. Mostly just sleeping or crawling over each other to attach to their mother and drink. They slept most of the time I was there that day. Still, one puppy stood out to me. He looked like the most comfortable puppy, always sprawled out on his back, really neat color patterns on his chest and belly, floppy ears and soft pads on his paws.

Suddenly, Second Thoughts

It came about abruptly, but again I was filled with doubt about taking home a new pet. Sure I have a cat, but Jack pretty much takes care of himself. He's a tough dude. He goes out whenever he wants, grooms himself, and the only feeding requirements are to fill his bowl when it's empty.

I left those puppies that day driving home and thinking about all the reasons I couldn't be a doggy mom: I didn't have the best living situation at the time and had some pretty rude and messy roommates. I worked a lot, drank often, stayed up late, listened to loud music, smoked cigarettes and I didn't always brush my teeth. How in the heck was I going to be good for this dog? Oh, well. Nobody's perfect. I'll try my best and that's most people can say. I met him already, no turning back now.

Preparation

In about two weeks I would bring home a puppy, time to get ready. I turn to the housewarming section of the Taoist puppy book.

Shelter: My house. Check.
Food: Puppy kibble, water and bowls. Check.
Rest: Dog bed on the floor of my empty closet. Check.
Love: Well, we'll just have to see about that. I'm still not sure it's really a puppy and not something in the hamster family.

Clean up, puppy proof. No dangling cords, no dirty clothes on the floor, no precious memorabilia lying around on the floor waiting to be chewed to bits. Bought a leash, a collar and a chew toy. I think I'm about ready to bring home a new friend.



Upcoming Installment: Destiny




No comments:

Post a Comment