Wednesday, October 10, 2012

For the Love of Cat Vol 3, Luci Fur

Luci Was An Accident
I don't know where Luci came from. My old roommate got her as a tiny kitten, she was a little puffball. Probably too small to be away from her mommy yet. He brought her home after I had moved out of the house Louie, Halford and I had once shared with a few other roomies. About a month after getting the kitten, he was being evicted and I offered to find her a home. That house was no home for a cat anymore anyway. There wasn't even cat food or a litter box in the house, it had REALLY gone down hill since I'd moved out. It killed me to see this kitten living like that.

Luci was adorable. Jet black and bright white, long white whiskers and a bushy tail. She's short and chubby, much more of a normal cat as far as the cats go in our family. Halford is the pet and Luci is the real cat. She's sketchy, startles easily, is afraid of the vacuum and prefers to be left alone unless she demands petting or food. She acts like such a pedigree.

All in Good Fun with Love
In reality, I think Luci might not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, if you know what I mean. I kindly refer to her as the 'special' kitty. Her eyes seem a bit crossed, and she has several extra toes. What a neat cat, and such personality. I definitely don't REALLY think she's slow, it's just fun to tease. That is how I function, life would be unlivable without laughter. I think it's necessary to make fun of ourselves and each other in a loving way. There is no shortage of blind jokes around my house for Louie.

I renamed Luci when I rescued her. Her old name was Venom, after the metal band. It didn't really seem to suit her. Luci was nice. Luci Fur because she's fuzzy, and because she has six toes on one of her front feet and five on the other front one. Demon cat! She could really grab onto something with the death grip of her giant front paws and kick the crap out of it with her back feet.

The Amazing Fetching Kitten
I fell in love with Luci somewhat suddenly one day. I was over at the house she was living and she was still just a little kitten. There was a toy there that was a small fishing pole with a toy bird on the end that chirped when it hit something. Luci loved it until the string snapped. I picked up the now detached bird and threw it across the room a little ways. It chirped when it his the ground. Luci ran over and batted it around, picked it up in her mouth and was carrying it around. I called, her 'here kitty kitty' and rubbed my fingers together. She brought me the bird. I wrestled it away from her and tossed it again and it chirped as it landed. She ran over, swatted it around a bit and picked it up in her mouth again. When she brought it back to me the third time I almost peed my pants. Was this kitten actually playing fetch with me? We went on for about fifteen minutes. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen a feline do.
A rare moment of Luci and Louie snuggle.

Luci never played fetch again.
I tried so many times, in so many ways, with so many different toys and nothing. I think she knows how and that I want her to fetch but just doesn't feel like it. Snob.

Luci is not much of a fan of Louie to be honest. She tolerates him and knows how to get out of his way. I think all of our other animals know Louie is blind by now. There have been a few adorable Luci and Louie moments and I have only captured it on camera once. Now that I look at it, somehow Luci doesn't look like she's enjoying it all that much. Maybe more just tolerating him, and using him for his body heat. She'd much rather find her own quiet warm spot in a window somewhere where no one can bother her.

Halford and Luci
The story of how Luci and Halford met was a tough one. I think it deserves it's own story. Luci arrived at a strange time in our lives, and Halford took sometime to adjust to having another cat in the house, but for very good reason. I will explain...


Check out the next installment:
For the Love of Cat Vol 4, Halford and Luci


No comments:

Post a Comment