Thursday, October 11, 2012

For the Love of Cat Vol 4, Replacing Halford?

It was spring time 2009. I had moved back to my parents house in November 2008 with Louie and Halford. We were loving the house with the big yard and Louie was loving hanging out with my dad and Poncho all day when I went to work. Halford enjoyed exploring the woods behind the house. He figured out how to get on and off the roof of this big house and he'd just cruise around up there and hang out. I think he liked the birds eye view. Everyday when I came home from work, Halford would come running. He'd either be meowing down at me from the roof top or running up to my car from behind the house. I loved my little cat-dog. It was just cool to have a cat that would come when you called him.

Gone Fishin'
Due to these very regular daily behaviors, like breakfast together and meeting me at my car when I got home, I knew right away that Halford was missing. By the next day I was already worried. I made flyers, posted an ad on Craigslist and went to both locations of the humane society in town. I left my flyers there in hopes they would call me if anyone brought Halford in. I kept going back to check the cats and make sure he wasn't there. It was really sad. Louie and I looked everywhere. We walked around in the backyard, calling him and Louie used his sniffer. I knew he wouldn't just run away, he really loved us and his house, so instead I feared the worst. Coyotes. I didn't want to think about it, but that may have been Halford's fate.
Luci posed, with Frank Zappa
Time Passes
Six days went by, I stopped going to the pound everyday and just hoped someone would call. That is when I went over to my old house to visit my old roommate and his kitten 'Venom'. I saw how bad the conditions in the house were and there was still no cat food. I knew that we had room for another cat at our place, but it wasn't like I was replacing Halford. I was just trying to rescue this cat, maybe find her a home. I took 'Venom' home with me and I changed her name to Luci in the car on the drive. I thought my folks might be more accepting of the little girl if she had a cuter name.

Two days passed, eight days since I'd seen Mr. Halford. Luci was liking her new house, getting used to the new people and animals. My mom immediately fell in love with the fluffy little girl. Luci seemed to have a permanent spot in my mothers lap any time she'd sit down. We were sitting around inside, my little brother Hunter and my mom, when we heard my dad scream from outside.


Rescue Mission
My cell phone rang and it was my dad, hysterical. I could barely understand what he was saying. It was something like "I hear him, I know it's him. Help me, I need help. Bring the ladder!" I'm running through the hall to the front door while listening to him on the phone. I told Hunter to get the ladder.

When I got outside, my dad was in the neighbors yard on the other side of a fence. He was in full panic mode. My dad pointed to the small vent in the attic of the neighbors shop. It's where the old man would park his riding lawnmower and keep tools and such. There were no windows on the building. It was just a tiny vent in the very top on the side of the building by the roof and a garage door on the front. The neighbors took very good care of their lawn. He was out almost everyday doing yard work but I hadn't seen them in while. They had gone on vacation a little over a week before. Then I heard it too. A loud meow, and it most certainly was Halford! My brother brought him the ladder, my dad climbed up and tore off the vent and pulled out a cat.

Halford liking his lips picturing Luci as a roast turkey
When they passed him to me I cried. He was a bag of bones! Halford started to purr as I held him. I carried him inside and into my room. I closed the door and set out a small water dish and just a couple tablespoons of food. I knew he could hurt himself if he ate too fast. He was just living on mice and whatever for eight days! I couldn't believe he was gone for that long and was still alive!

An Impostor! or Breakfast?
Suddenly, Halford stops drinking water and starts in with a low growl. Hiss! What? I look around and see a chubby, fluffy and clean little black and white kitten sitting there looking at Halford. I had totally forgot about her in all the commotion in finding Halford. Halford was not happy to see another cat right now. I think he just wanted to eat her he was so fricken hungry! I tried to explain to Halford that he wasn't being replaced, I hadn't given up on looking for him. This kitten just needed a good home, that's all. He seemed to hold a grudge. I scooped up little Luci and brought her back to my mom's lap where she belonged, while I went back in to check on Halford. Louie wouldn't leave, he waiting and listened just outside my bedroom door, he wanted his Halford!
Snuggling?

Warming up to Each Other
Over the next few days we fed Halfey slowly, he drank water, re-hydrated. He slept with Louie. He didn't want to go outside, but more than anything, Halford would not tolerate closed doors. He came to hate any kind of inclosed space, and I could totally understand. He would howl like a banshee if a door would close on him. We kept all the interior doors opened at least a crack. This made it difficult to separate Halford and Luci, seeing as Halford wanted Luci for lunch. Instead, we encouraged playing, and we supervised and refereed to make sure it didn't get out of control. Louie helped with the refereeing part for sure.

Maybe not.
Before you know it, a few weeks had gone by and Luci and Halford were getting along, there was some pretty awesome cat wrestling matches going on in our house. They played with toys together and I'd even catch them snuggling from time to time.

A Lesson Learned
I'll never forget losing Halford, I've learned a valuable lesson. Cats get locked into outbuildings all the time. Keep your eye out for cats in your garage, and if you lose a cat go and check your neighbors garages, with their permission of course. I know now this happens all the time in the spring and summer months. Halford, what a survivor! We're all happy to have him, especially Louie.

No comments:

Post a Comment