Saturday, January 12, 2013

Canine Good Citizen Class, Day 4

Today went wonderfully!
We had more fun in class today than ever and Louie is doing so good. I am especially impressed with his long 'stay', but he's been good at that for a while. As far as most improved, that would be the lay down command. I know I've written  before about that being a tough one for Louie. It may be because of his blindness, he's unsure of where to lay down or he isn't comfortable in that vulnerable position in a strange area. Whatever it is, it has gotten much better with practice. I tried to have him lay down every chance I had today and he's really getting better.

Only one more class to go and then it's test day, in two weeks!
Test day happens to fall on my birthday of all days. It would be the best birthday present ever for Louie to be CGC certified! But if we do 'fail' it's not a total loss by any means. We have bonded even further by going to the class, and we're both having fun practicing. That is all that really matters. I have to remember why I started this, I hope to one day be able to do therapy work with Louie. If we can't pass this test, then that might not be meant to be. If that is the case than that is okay. Louie is still my therapy dog and I love him. I have a feeling though that we can do it. If we don't pass the test the first time, we can retake it. No big deal. If I'm relaxed about this, Louie can relax too and we're more likely to do a great job.

I'm really enjoying our instructor, Michael.
He does a good job without being too pushy. When daydreaming about what dog school would be like, I was afraid I might be forced into retraining Louie on the simpliest of things because it wasn't 'right'. Like for instance, I walk Louie on my left side. What if my trainer thought that was ridiculous! You're dog is a beast with bad manners unless you walk him on your right side! No no no. Michael seems very open to seeing what is working already, and catching things you might be able to improve on too. It is just helping me having a set of eyes on us and I am able to bounce ideas off of him if something comes up.

So, anyone in the Bellingham, WA area - head to Tails-a-Wagging if you want to take a class, Michael is great and I'm sure the other instructors there are great too.

I will leave you with this image of Louie with lots of food on his face.
If he had pupils, I think you'd see he is crossing his eyes! Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment