Sunday, January 6, 2013

For the Love of Cat Vol. 6, Shotgun

Halford, 2008
 Okay, we've been keeping a secret.
We have a new cat around. As I've mentioned before, my husband and I live right next door to my parents in a tiny house with our two dogs. I would say the cats are mutual property between the two residents by now. They go to whatever door will open for them whenever they are cold and hungry. Meatloaf, the kitten we rescued last July from under a nearby house, hangs mostly with us. Halford was my cat and he moved with my parents 4 years ago when I moved into a house with Paul downtown. He's now more of my pet again than just a neighbor. He sleeps at our house most nights. Then there is Luci, a beautiful black and white long haired cat I rescued when she was a kitten from a dirty house with no food or liter box for her. I brought her to live with my parents, so she never got the chance to live with me and Louie and therefore never got used to a big slobbery dog that bumps into you when he's looking right at you! Luci has ventured into our home a few times. She'll find a comfy spot on the back of a chair and hold her own when a dog tries to sniff her, but she is definitely not a dog lover like the other two.
Luci, 2008 (notice her extra thumbs)

Okay, so what is the secret?!
My dad brought another cat home. Everyone sighed, we aren't 'cat people'. I love my pets, don't get me wrong, I just don't see our family having loads of cats roaming around. How many is too many? Well, my dad had to explain how the new cat found him and why he put it in his truck and brought it home.

I walked in to my dad's house after a long day of work.
All I knew about the new cat was that it looked like Luci except dirty and my dad had 'saved' it. What I found was a skinny, hungry, scruffy looking Muppet caked in cow manure and stinking to high heaven. How could anyone want to pick that up and take it home? It looked so scared. I did not touch it because I was sure it would turn into a hissing, gnashing fur ball, slicing its way to free itself from my clutches with it's infected claws. I just watched skinny try to choke down food and asked my dad what he was thinking.

He told me he was on a nearby farm with a friend. They were going to do some work on the property. The three men were standing around discussing this upcoming project when a skinny black and white kitty slowly walked by.  The farm hand said 'Oh, yeah. That reminds me I was supposed to get rid of that thing.' and he pulled his shotgun from his truck. My dad quickly asked what he was doing. The man said that this cat didn't belong here and it had been wondering around on their property for a while now and no one could catch it. It was surely feral and diseased. My dad quickly volunteered to take care of this for him. He patiently waiting for the cat to approach. He pet it a little and it seemed fine. He tried to pick it up and then it really gave it to him. Hissing, spitting, clawing, flailing. My dad carried it to his truck, put it in and shut the door.

Okay, I get it.
He could not let that man shoot this cat, it had to be somebodies pet, at least at one time. On top of that, it looked so darn much like his cat Luci. What kind of a man would he be if he stood by and let that happen? I understood, and loved my dad just a little more. I looked at my dad and said 'Well, I guess we call it 'Shotgun'. He smiled with tears in his eyes. The cat purred while it ate the crunchy kibble just as fast as it could. We scheduled a vet appointment for the next day and thought we'd try to find it a home if we could. We'd make sure she was well first. One thing we knew for sure: this cat did not like dogs. The moment Louie or Snorp were in sight, even through the window she flipped out.

Meatloaf, 2012
The first time Shotgun met Louie was quite the scene. 
Shotgun made it known she despised this animal and anyone who looked like it. Hissing, spitting, flailing, clawing again, my dad carried her upstairs and away from the other animals, giving Louie a chance to inspect the new smell and trace everywhere this new creature had been. Louie made zigzags across the kitchen floor, over to the cat food bowl where he was reminded he didn't get to eat that, over to the water dish where he helped himself and wet his whistle, under a chair and table and into a closet, back across the kitchen to the living room where he did some deep sniffing of a blanket Shotgun had been lying one when we came in. Then he went back trough the living room and crossed the kitchen floor to the flight of stairs leading upstairs, no hiding from this dog! No, sorry Louie, you can't go upstairs. Leave that kitty alone.





Shotgun, 2012
So why was this a secret?
Well, it wasn't really a secret actually. More that I wasn't ready to share this story until I knew where it was going. This cat looked terribly sick and hated my dogs. What kind of uplifting story could I spin out of that? How does this relate to Life with Blind Louie?

Well, we took Shotgun to the vet. Shotgun is a 'she'. She had been fixed before, so she was somebodies pet once upon a time. They guessed she was maybe three years old, she did not have feline leukemia but she had such bad fleas that she was anemic.  She was far too thin and was recovering from dehydration. So, I see. The farmer could not take care of another animal and he knew this cat had no home and was sick. They were doing the 'humane' thing and 'euthanizing' her. Farmers and country folk handle things just a bit different than we do in the city. That scenario sounds crazy to me being raised in town and new to this area but I don't think anyone necessarily had poor intentions. I'm just glad my big-heart-ed father was there to give this girl a second chance.

Shotgun, 2012
Now between the two houses, we have four cats, two dogs, three chickens, and two pigs.
Everybody is happy and taken care of so it seems okay. I don't see us adopting out Shotgun, my dad is very attached. She sleeps with him at night and comes when he calls her. The name stuck, Shotgun. I named another cat a weird name. Win! She is way more mellow now, she doesn't hit or spit at my dad anymore, even when he picks her up. She's playing and wrestling with the other cats. The dogs though... well, she still leery. I don't know if that will get too much better. Luci still doesn't like the dogs much and they've been living next door to her for about seven months now. Louie, however is learning to keep his distance. He knows if he smells close enough that he can hear her growling at him that he need to back off. She doesn't run away anymore, she stands her ground. This is really good because it will teach Louie to keep away instead of just chasing and playing hide and seek. Today, I finally was able to take pictures of her because she wasn't hiding. She's a pretty Shotgun.
Shotgun, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment