Thursday, January 31, 2013

Budde the Puppy is Nine Weeks Old

Budde playing on the stairs.
1/26/13
Budde the Puppy 9 weeks old. This little fella is growing fast! Everyday is a whole new ballgame.

Louie, for the most part, keeps his distance. This puppy is just too unpredictable to been enjoyed yet. Louie is absolutely more than tolerant of Budde, but if he has the option of being away from the pup, he'll take that. Everybody goes outside, Louie tries to sneak back in before the door closes without anyone knowing. I think of what it was like when I was a kid, when you still think hide and go seek is really easy and boring because to hide all you have to do is close your eyes and no one can see you. Until you learn that just because your eyes are closed and you can't see anyone else doesn't mean no one else can see you. Louie is still learning.

Budde is everywhere, and into everything. It is nonstop puppy time. I have to admit, I'm happy this is just my father's puppy, my neighbor and not my own. Caring for a puppy is a full time job. It takes a huge amount of patients and a great sense of humor. It also takes up all of your time. Night and day. I tried to remember how I handled it, how did I take care of Louie while I was working and being a 22 year old kid? How did I fit in work, friends and fun while successfully raising a dog? Not to mention a dog with special needs. It has been so long, six and a half years to be exact, since I have had a puppy in the house. It's hard to remember what it was like.

Innocent look, as he steals the blind dog's bone!
Then I remember, sleepless nights. I would set my alarm to buzz once every hour and I would take Louie outside. I did this for the first few weeks. Then I had him sleeping in a closed area, an improvised kennel made from a baby gate and an empty closet. Louie would whine if he woke up because he wouldn't want to go to the bathroom in his bed! I would wake up and let him out. I totally developed 'mom ears' and any little whine, movement or stirring from the puppy would perk my ears up and I'd be wide awake. During the day I followed him around everywhere. I would play with him outside and clean up after my roommate so that Louie couldn't get into anything he wasn't supposed to. On work days I would drive Louie out to my dad's house for dog sitting. My dad could be with him all day and take him along to any work he had to do. Louie rode along with Grandpa Chuck and his dog Poncho and was always happy to follow along.

Budde shows off his huge paws.
I would pick Louie up after a long day of work in a restaurant, on my feet. I would be tired and Louie would be rearing to go! Party time! After our car ride home, I would practice walking on the leash with Louie, feed him, pet him, play tug of war and then fall asleep with him in my arms. Every annoying thing he did was countered by his cuteness, his kindness and his hilarious clumsiness. Oh little Louie, I'm glad I had that experience. I'm happy we have bonded since he was so little but I would never wish for that time back. I know all that hard work paid off with an amazing dog, and this is my reward.

I know Budde will be a good boy. He doesn't have good manners, he doesn't know where it's okay to go to the bathroom and he is nonstop annoying the big dogs and the cats but all of this is just him figuring out how things work. He is testing his boundaries, trying things out. Looking back on Louie's little puppy time, I realize how quickly this phase will go by. So instead of being frustrated by Budde's lack of listening skills, I will gently remind him of the right thing to do and laugh at his silliness because that will soon change.

Louie listens to Budde enjoy his bone.
Already, Budde is showing signs that he is actually a dog. His paws are huge compared to his body. Now he is tripping over those big things and soon enough they will suit him. Budde running is a funny sight, because it usually means he is tripping over himself and doing somersaults and flailing about. While watching Budde run yesterday, I said aloud "Nice form, Budde". He's running and bounding up the steps. Two weeks ago he couldn't climb the stairs at all. He is fearless, optimistic and carefree. I love Budde. He needs lots of exercise, love and guidance. The most important thing an owner of a young pup can have is patients. No sense in getting upset or angry. Roll with it and things will keep changing, just as fast as you could keep up with it.

I look forward to sharing more stories of Blind Louie and the puppy. Soon enough I'm sure they 'll be playing. This week, Louie got a big bone as a reward for passing his CGC test. It was only a few minutes before Budde found the bone and Louie backed away. Louie sat close by listening to the little dog gnawing on his bone. Louie wouldn't take it back, just in case. He can't see so he's never sure if he's overstepping a boundary and starting a fight. So he just waited until the pup was distracted and he took it back. Good dog Louie.










No comments:

Post a Comment