Sunday, January 13, 2013

There's a New Pup on the Block

The ride home in his new Papa's lap
1/12/13
Blind Louie is a Big Brother!
We are super excited to welcome a new addition to our gang... and I wish I could tell you his name! So far it's Buddy or Puppy, but something else might come up and stick. I've tried to talk my dad out of calling him 'Poncho' after his last dog. While I know how much my dad loved Poncho, this dog needs his own name for a fresh start. Poncho had some pretty big paws for this little pup to fill.

We drove early this morning to pick up the puppy.
Just my dad and I went. It was about a 45 minute drive to the home of my co-worker. We were greeted first by a gorgeous black lab with big saggy boobies. This must be mom! My co-worker's wife, Michelle led us out to the wood shed where the puppies were staying. Inside we found about 6 or 7 pups. One dark brown, one golden and the rest were black. My dad already was set on a male, and was hoping for black puppy. He scooped one up and held it close to him and said "Okay, let's go." I took the pup from him and looked at it. Checked in his mouth, his ears and held him on his back to see his reaction. He squirmed around a bit but quickly gave in and relaxed. I agreed this was a fine specimen.

Running full speed ahead!
Momma doggy didn't seem to care that we were poking around at her puppies. She seemed more than happy to get rid of one, she couldn't keep them off of her! She didn't seem to want them to nurse at all anymore.

Along with all the pups, there were two cats in the wood shed as well. The cats seem to like the puppies and had been staying in there with them. This is a great sign. The pups are already well socialized. Great! This is going to work out wonderfully.

After selecting his puppy my dad quickly got in the passenger seat of the car "You drive, I'll hold him." The ride home was quiet. Other than a couple of squeaks and whimpers, the new pup pup sat happily in my dads lap. My dad was in love! Huge red heart shapes jetted out of his eye balls and throbbed as his tongue hung out the side of his mouth, jaw dropped. His new pup and he melted in to the seat and became one.

Louie 'looks' at the new puppy sitting in my mom's lap.
When we arrived home, Snorp was outside to greet us.
He sniffed at me frantically inspecting my sweatshirt before heading around to the other side of the car, finding my dad with the source of the smell. I had expected barking and over-excitement, but Snorp was calm and curious.

We went into my parents house and Louie was asleep on Poncho's old dog bed. That dog bed has not moved since Poncho passed away a few weeks short of a year ago. Louie got up sleepily to come and greet us and it wasn't long before his nostrils were flapping like butterfly wings! Louie also, was calm. He did not bark, jump or run. Snorp, Louie and the new addition sniffed and mingled like three gentlemen. I was very proud.

The only thing a bit off was Louie and his uncontrollable drooling. I think he was just hungry for puppy! Pure, unfiltered, unprocessed, fresh organic puppy meat. mmm. The puppy was awash in Louie spit and he didn't seem to mind. Instead of puppy smell he stinks like bad Louie breath.

So they named him Budde.
Inspector Snorp Meets the Pup
It's official. My mom went to the store and bought him a collar with a name tag and everything. That's what we kept calling him anyway. "Hey buddy, come here buddy. Good boy." It's stuck. He's officially Budde P. Swift. The 'P' stand for Poncho, that's nice. In memory of. We loved that dog. So watch out world, here is Budde!

Budde follows the other dogs so well. He comes to you when you call him. All good signs. He is even starting to get out of the way when Louie is coming for him. It only took Louie tripping over him twice before he started to get it. I can't wait to get to know him better and write about his interaction with Blind Louie. Yet another chapter begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment