Friday, October 12, 2012

For the Love of Cat Vol. 5, Meatloaf


Doing some deep sniffing, inspecting the new kitten.
Movin' to the Country
In July of 2012 my husband and I picked up and moved a few towns north to a house right behind my parents. I wanted to be closer to family and there was such a big yard and barn so our animals could have an even better place to hang out. Our beloved family dog, Poncho passed away at the age of ten in February of 2012, and my dad seemed sad and lonely without him. We all took it very hard. Poncho went everywhere with my dad and there was a huge hole left without him. My dad didn't want another dog, Poncho couldn't be replaced. I knew that Louie has a way of comforting people in a special way. Moving out there allowed my dad to 'dog sit' for us every work day.

Rescue Mission
A few days after we starting staying out in our new house on 'the farm', my dads neighbor stopped by saying she heard something under her house and thought there might be some kind of animal under there trapped. My dad went over and spent some time, finally coming back home with a little grey tabby kitten in his arms. Later we'd found out it was a little girl. She was clawing and trying to get away from my dad. We put her into a small room with a little bit of food and water. She looked scared and sick. Her eyes were all gooey and she was sneezing. I guessed she was about eight weeks old, probably born around June 1st.

Introduction
Nap Time
I opened the door and sat down on the floor. Louie shoved his head in around me, sniffing loudly. The kitten came to us. She looked so sad and sick, poor thing. She started to purr. It reminded me of Halford the day he met Louie. Louie started to lick this new kitten. She gladly allowed it. Before you know it she was soaking wet, sparkly clean and smelled like dog breath. I decided to call her Meatloaf, since Louie thought she was so tasty.

Clean 'er Up
We took Meatloaf the the vet the next day. She got some meds for the icky eyes, fleas, ear mites and some antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. We scheduled an appointment for two weeks later for her first shots. The receptionist looked at the kitten and said, "She doesn't look like a meatloaf." I responded in a loud exaggerated whisper "Shhh, SHE'S MADE OF KITTEN MEAT." I didn't really get a laugh. Umph.
Meatloaf knows she can sneak away from Louie if she's quiet


She's a Keeper
We weren't thinking of keeping this little kitten at first. I just wanted to get her healthy and try to find her a good home. That was until we realized how well she was getting along with our dogs! Luci and Halford pretty much lived next door at my parents house and Meatloaf tended to sleep with us and the dogs. I wouldn't call my husband Paul a 'cat person' by any stretch, but he really seemed to be warming up to Meatloaf, she seemed to take a liking to him as well. I said to him "Looks like you like that kitten, Paul." He responded, cat on his chest purring as he gently pet her and kissed the top of her head, "No. No, I don't care for her." with a disapproving nod. I think he's lying. I guess if that's what it means, I don't much care for her either.
Me and Meatloaf, I'm just tolerating her. She's not cute at all.
As I write this, she sits next to me. A Meatloaf made of kitten meat. She sure is cute right now, but when she wants to have a fight to the death with my face when I'm dead asleep at 3am, not so much.

I love that Louie gets along with cats, even Snorp has come around to the whole idea. So the family grows. My parents next door, Paul and I, Louie, Snorp, Halford, Luci and now Meatloaf.

What could happen next?

No comments:

Post a Comment