Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunny Spot on the Bed

Sun spots.
In other posts I've talked about Louie and his love of all things warm and sunny. He may not be able to see the sun but that sure doesn't stop him from enjoying it. It also doesn't stop him from finding any tiny square of sunlight peaking through the curtains.

This photo was taken on an overcast day. As soon as there was a break in the clouds, Louie moved into the sun spot. How does this happen? Well, of course he can feel a temperature change but how does he know to go in the bedroom and find a specific 2 feet by 2 feet square spot on the bed? Can he smell the sun shining through the window? I have to wonder...





Louie is surely total blind.
The surgery helped the pressure and pain of Louie's glaucoma, but left his eyes irreversibly blind. A very good trade I can say, now that we have a few years behind us post-surgery.

There is no way Louie can see the sun or the change in light.
Maybe it's as simple as the smell warmth? I think there's so much we can take in and our brains sort out without us even knowing. Louie minus his sight means having to pay much more attention to his other senses. Still, I am blown away be Louie and his sunny spot finding ability.

I love just watching him.
I watch his train of thought as he figures out something. Louie can do it, whatever it is, I have no doubt. He takes his time and figures things out. Don't rush Louie, and don't coddle him please. The more I let him solve the puzzles, the better he will become at everything. Figuring out how to do something on your own is a million times more valuable than being shown how to do something. I watch and wait, and I am there for Louie when he needs direction, but I try to wait for him to ask for help with a whine or a bark. By allowing him to do things on his own and just observing, I will learn how to do things in a different way myself. I can 'see' through Louie's eyes, or walk in Louie's 'shoes'. Louie doesn't wear shoes and he can't see, just to be clear, but you know what I mean. I learn something from Louie everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment