Sunday, October 21, 2012

Plus Sized Model

Louie is a big fella.
He weighs in at about 110lbs. He has a massive chest span and a giant, hard and heavy head. This giant rock-hard head comes in handy for bumping into things and not hurting himself. Screen door? No problem, just walk on through and head on outside. Okay, so we need to buy my folks a new screen door. Maybe one with a solid bottom half so that doesn't happen again.

Louie loves to dress up.
I think Louie's number one priority (other than food) would be comfort. Cozy, warm and snuggley. Louie loves to cuddle, wants to be covered with blankets and doesn't mind being sat on by any person or animal. The warmer the better. When we go camping, I have to watch him to make sure he doesn't actually try and lay down and go to sleep in the fire instead of next to it. When it's sunny out, Louie will find a sunny spot to sit. When it's blazing hot out he will find a sunny spot to lay on black asphalt next to a forest fire. So you get it? Louie likes to be warm and covered. Being cold means whimpering and crying like a baby. At night time, Louie will risk everything to get under the covers. I'm sure he'd give his right arm to be guaranteed to be allowed under the covers with his people in their bed every night for all eternity. If there is a heaven for Louie, it's on fire, but somehow it miraculously doesn't burn him to death while he naps on the flaming couch.

Plus Sized + Loving Clothes = Disappointment
This is an equation I can fully understand from my own personal experiences. I am almost five feet eleven inches tall. Try and find me jeans that aren't capri's on me in a regular store and you will fail. It's okay, I'm used to it by now. It is really awful that I can't ever find Louie clothes. Every store has a zillion different outfits for tiny dogs. There will be one broke old pink sweater in large size. The large size for dogs doesn't even come close to fitting. The head hole will barley fit onto his mussel, let alone over his big old head.


6mo old Lou in his Large size sweater.

The last time Louie fit into a large he was about six months old.
Louie loved to wear the sweater we got him. We'd put in on and he'd want to run around all proud. We had buckets of fun playing in the snow that year. Louie loves the snow and the sweater made it okay to stay out and play for longer.  He does have a very short coat of fur, so I understand it might not be very cozy to be outside in the snow naked.




Louie's year-round hot dog jacket
He grew out of that one quickly.
The next time I was able to find something to fit him was a year or so later around Halloween. I found an extra large costume that was just some fabric with two Velcro straps, one that went around front and one that went under his belly. The one that was supposed to go under him didn't fit when I got it home. I made an extension and let it work. It wasn't long after Louie had surgery and he loved wearing his new clothes. He wore it out, literally, until the strap broke and the stuffing was falling out. People thought I was the weirdo for letting my dog wear a fricken hot dog costume all year round but hey, it fit!

My mother is wonderful.
Yesterday, while shopping she noticed one dog jacket labeled extra, extra large. She bought it and brought it home for Louie to try on. To my amazement, it fit! Pretty much anyway. It was the same idea as the hot dog costume only like a fleece blanket instead of that hot dog pillow riding around on his back. He loves it! The strap that goes under the belly is still just a little bit tight, I think I will try and sew an extension on this one just in case he's having a 'fat day' like we all have from time to time. Ladies, you know what I mean, am I right?


I took a ton of pictures of Louie in his new jacket.
He sure doesn't mind modeling for the camera. He loves it when I ask him to do things, he's on the job. Louie, sit, stay, look this way, stop, stay, good boy!




No comments:

Post a Comment