Monday, November 19, 2012

Louie Finds a Sleeping Hole

Book on table is 'How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You' By The Oatmeal. A Must Read!
Louie wants to sleep on the bed.
I don't care what time it is, what day it is and what else is going on. Louie wants to sleep on our cushy, queen sized, pillow-top human's bed. He would prefer to be under the covers. If there is no one around with thumbs he will carefully nudge apart the seems of a nicely made bed. He will toss pillows around with his face and scoop and toss covers with his nose until he can start to wiggle under the blankets. He's almost never got all the way under, but this method allows him to get his head and shoulders under and that is what really matters.

How do I know all this detail?
Well, I'll say to most fun part for me having a blind dog is watching him when he doesn't know he's being watched. When I hear something on my bed in the other room, if I walk very carefully and slowly and stand just in the doorway looking in, I have A front row seat to the 'Louie is home alone' show. Who needs a nanny-cam when you have a blind dog! I have quietly watched Louie 'make' our bed time and again, but what happens when it's time for my husband and I to go to bed? Bedtime always begins with us helping Louie down off our bed and asking him to find a dog bed. He will usually sniff the dog beds and leave the room. He likes the dog bed in the living room better.

Last night,
I got up at about 3am to use the bathroom. There was Louie, curled up in the chair. Again, this is pretty normal. Then it hits me, I don't think a dog who could see would chose to face the back of the chair. They would want to be facing out instead, so they could look around and have a quick exit should they need it. Louie is much more concerned about protecting his head and feeling cozy. That's why he loves to wear clothes and sleep with his head under the covers.

Louie shoves his snout way down into the  crack to the chair, breathing freely is not the number one objective obviously. He has always tried to bury his head. When he was a 8 week old puppy I would find him sleeping in the strangest of places, like with just his head shoved into the tiny space between the back of the couch and the wall. I thought he was just a weirdo, now I know he's just a big blind weirdo, and I love him so.

No comments:

Post a Comment